Friday, May 25, 2007

My dirty secret...

It's been a little busy around the lab and home, but more science is coming up soon: The new technique of ChIP-seq, the opossum genome, book reviews of Uncertainty and I am a Strange Loop, and hopefully this weekend a piece on quaternions and vectors in Pynchon's Against the Day.

And now for my confession:

OK, I watched the American Idol finale. In fact, I've watched much of the American Idol season. The show isn't exactly filled with my style of music, but hey, it's entertaining. And as a Green Day fan, I lucked out - Green Day gave an electrifying performance of John Lennon's "Working Class Hero" on the American Idol finale; by far the best performance of the night.

I never thought Green Day would be caught dead on a show like American Idol, but I suppose it was a good way to publicize the humanitarian Instant Karma project. I was struck by the irony of the whole thing though: to the cheering crowd Billie Joe Armstrong sang

"Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see..." [with 'fucking' bleeped out of course],

while one of the show's executive producers told an interviewer that this year's American Idol finalists "are some of the most commercial finalists we've had since Carrie Underwood... Either one will make a great winner for the show and the brand. They both have the potential to sell many records."

Wow - Lennon's lyrics vs. Marketspeak - if it got any more dissonant than that the universe would explode.

No comments: